PANGAEA is ...
a Data Publisher for Earth & Environmental Science (PANGAEA). It guarantees long-term availability of its content through a commitment of the operating institutions. The policy of data management and archiving follows the Principles and Responsibilities of ICSU World Data Centers and the OECD Principles and Guidelines for Access to Research Data from Public Funding. In 2001 PANGAEA became the long-term archive of the Word Data Center for Marine Environmental Sciences (WDC-MARE) hosted at the Alfred Wegener Institute. WDC-MARE later became part of the World data system (WDS). From 2008 on, PANGAEA was also used by BSRN as part of the Word Radiation Monitoring Center.
- a Google-like interface for searching and distributing BSRN-data via web,
- GOOGLE searchability (high ranking),
- a well-defined metadata for any dataset,
- a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) to identify, share, publish and cite each data set,
- the data itself in different formats (ftp, text, html),
- access restrictions,
- free software for any PANGAEA derived dataset.